Born in Bucharest, Liliana Nikiteanu made her vocal studies with Professor Georgeta Stoleriu at Bucharest’s Academy. During her career she received many awards and prizes, including the “Francisco Viñas”, Barcelona "Por la mejor y la mas joven mezzo-soprano finalista" (“For the best mezzo-soprano finalist among the youngest musicians); the “Jeunesse Musicale International Competition”, Belgrad; "Belvedere Competition", Vienna; The "Geneva International Music Competition" (CIEM).
She made her debut at the opera house in Galati (Romania) and in 1991 became a member of Zurich Opera. Highlights of her career are her performance with Claudio Abbado and Valery Gergiev at the Salzburg Festival, with René Jacobs in Aix-en-Provence and with William Christie at London‘s Royal Festival Hall. She also performed at the Vienna Klangbogen, the Bregenz Festival, in Edinburgh, at La Coruña and Montpellier. She sang Muse and Nicklausse in Les contes d‘Hoffmann and Octavian in Der Rosenkavalier at the Opéra Bastille in Paris; Octavian in Hamburg (in the Peter Konwitschny production), in Frankfurt, at the Vienna State Opera and, under the baton of Adam Fischer, in Mannheim; Marguerite inLa damnation de Faust with Antonio Pappano in Brussels. Guest performances also took her to Berlin State Opera, the Bavarian State Opera, the Semperoper in Dresden, the Teatro de la Zarzuela in Madrid and the Grand Théâtre in Geneva.
In 2008 she made her debut as Fricka in Das Rheingold, her first Wagner role that she sang in Zurich under the baton of Philippe Jordan. Also with Philippe Jordan she sang Second Norn in Götterdämmerung and Rossweisse in Die Walküre. More recently she sang Hexe in Humperdinck‘s Königskinder, Federica in Luisa Miller, Jezibaba in Rusalka under the baton of Vladimir Fedosseyev, Marcellina in Le nozze di Figaro with Jan Schultsz, Eleonora in the world premiere of Marc-André Dalbavie’s Gesualdo, Ragonde in Le Comte Ory .
In concert, she performed Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony with Zubin Mehta in Zurich, Berlioz’s Les nuits d‘été with Heinz Holliger at the Cité de la musique in Paris, Mozart’s Requiem with John Neschling in São Paulo, Verdi’s Requiem with Aldo Ceccato in Copenhagen, Rossini’s Stabat Mater with Nelo Santi in Zurich, Rossini’s Petite Messe Solennelle at the Grand Théâtre de Genève, Haydn’s Berenice, che fai? with Adam Fischer and the Bamberg Symphonic Orchestra, Mahler’s Das Lied von der Erde in Interlaken, Bruckner’s Te Deum at the opening of the new Auditorio de Tenerife, Brahms’ Rhapsodie für Alt und Männerchor in Galati. In 2005, she had the honour to sing at the 500 Years Swiss Guard celebrations in St. Peter’s Cathedral in Rome.
Her wide repertoire reaches from Bach (Mass in B minor, Magnificat, St. John’s Passion, St. Matthew’s Passion, Christmas Oratorio) to Luciano Berio.
Her discography includes DVDs with the ensemble of Zurich Opera as Cherubino, Zerlina and Dorabella in the “Mozart-Da Ponte Trilogy” (Le Nozze di Figaro, Don Giovanni and Così fan tutte ) conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt (director: Jürgen Flimm) and her performance as Auntie in Peter Grimes, conducted by Franz Welser-Möst
Future and actual projects include in the 2018/2019 Zurich Opera House season: Rustena in Verita in Cimento, Beggar Woman in Sweeney Todd, Teresa in La Sonnambula and Marcellina in Le nozze di Figaro.
- Composer Work Role
- Bellini Sonnambula Teresa
- Britten The turn of the screw Mrs Grose *
- Britten Peter Grimes Auntie
- Dalbavie Gesualdo Eleonora
- Debussy Pélléas et Mélisande Geneviève *
- Dukas Ariane et Barbe-Bleue Nourrice
- Dvorak Rusalka Jezibaba
- Händel Rinaldo Goffredo
- Händel Giulio Cesare Cesare /Cornelia *
- Händel Semele Ino / Juno
- Haydn Il mondo della luna Lisetta
- Humperdinck Hänsel und Gretel Hexe *
- Humperdinck Königskinder Hexe
- Mascagni Cavalleria rusticana Mamma Lucia *
- Massenet Thérèse Thérèse
- Monteverdi Il ritorno d'Ulisse Ericlea *
- Mozart Mitridate Farnace *
- Mozart Zauberflöte 2. Dame
- Mussorgksy Boris Godunow Marina *
- Puccini Suor Angelica Die Fürstin *
- Rameau Les Indes Galantes Zaïre
- Rimsky-Korsakov Die Zarenbraut Lyubascha
- Rossini Otello Emilia
- Rossini Le Comte d'Ory Ragonde
- Schostakowitsch Die Nase Podtotschina
- Strauss, R. Daphne Gaea *
- Strauss, R. Elektra Klytämnestra *
- Strauss, R. Capriccio Clairon *
- Tschaikowski Eugen Onegin Larina/Amme *
- Verdi Falstaff Meg / Miss Quickly *
- Verdi Rigoletto Maddalena
- Verdi Luisa Miller Federica
- Wagner Götterdämmerung Waltraute* / 2. Norn
- Wagner Walküre Fricka *
- Wagner Rheingold Fricka
- Wagner Fliegender Holländer Mary